The aim of the society is to bring together interested parties working in disaster risk reduction and related fields within the SADC region. SASDiR aims to become a network of networks which can facilitate learning, research and mentoring in and between civil society actors, governments and institutions of research and higher learning.
The objectives of SASDiR are to:
- be a community of practice for disaster reduction within the SADC region;
- facilitate the interaction between disaster risk reduction role-players (individuals and institutions) in civil society, governments and institutions of higher learning and research through establishing mechanisms for internships, mentoring and sharing of expertise;
- build on the current disaster reduction body of knowledge for the SADC region and beyond;
- enable and empower its members towards disaster reduction;
- be an information sharing hub for information relating to disaster reduction in the SADC region through our website, publications, think tanks, seminars, colloquiums; workshops and conferences;
- share innovative disaster reduction practices and research amongst it members;
- contribute to standardisation of practices and baseline information on disaster risk reduction for the region.